What to eat in London! People say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so, if you travel to the United Kingdom, we recommend you start the morning with an English breakfast, which typically consists of eggs, sausages, baked beans (small beans in tomato sauce), bacon, roasted tomatoes and toast accompanied by a good coffee or a delicious tea.
In addition, some of the typical British dishes are:
- Bangers and mash: sausages with mashed potatoes.
- Beef Wellington: beef tenderloin wrapped in a mushroom and shallot hash in puff pastry.
- Bubble and squeak: tortilla made with leftover fried vegetables from Sunday roast.
- Cottage pie: baked stewed minced beef and vegetables covered with mashed potatoes.
- Cornish pasty: empanada stuffed with meat and vegetables.
- Fish and chips: breaded and fried fish accompanied by potato chips.
- Jacket potato: slow roasted potato with butter and salt. It can be taken alone or accompanied by cheese, tuna or any other ingredient that you want.
- Roast beef: roasted meat baked slightly red. It is usually accompanied with boiled or roasted vegetables. Traditionally it is eaten on Sundays with your family, in what is known as the Sunday roast.
- Sausage roll: baked puff pastry filled with sausage.
- Shepherd’s pie: baked chopped lamb meat and vegetable stir-fry covered with mashed potatoes.
- Scones: sweet buns spread with cream and jam.
- Trifle: sponge cake, fruit pieces, custard (English cream) and cream mounted on superimposed layers.
Do not forget to try the fruit crumble (mixture of flour, sugar and butter baked with fruits) and to taste some of its “ale” beers or apple ciders.
Every summer, London organizes the Beer Festival. Do not miss it!
“Enjoy your meal”!