Did you know that the Netherlands is the paradise of tulips, specially the Keukenhof Park?
If you like flowers – especially tulips – you don’t want to miss the opportunity to visit the Keukenhof Park. Each year it opens its doors in spring to offer us a whole show, that includes more than 7 million bulbs and about 800 varieties of tulips.
It is a day trip you can organise if you are staying in Amsterdam, as we indicated in our guide.
How to get there
Keukenhof is located 40 km from Amsterdam. You can get there by public transport or by car:
- Bus: through the park’s website you can buy a combined ticket that includes the entrance to the park and the transfer in the bus 858 of the Arriva company from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
- You can plan your trip using 9292 travel planner.
- Car: motorway A4 (exit Nieuw-Vennep) and A44 (exit 3, Lisse).
From March 21st to May 20th, every day of the week from 8 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
The park is quieter during the early hours of the day (until 10.30 a.m.) and after 4 p.m. The light at that time is very good for taking pictures.
The least crowded days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
It’s cheaper to get there by buying a combined ticket, with it you can avoid any queues.
- General price
- Reduced price: children (4 – 17 years old), groups (more than 20 people)
- Free entry: children under 4
The parking is not free.
There are different combined tickets that include the entrance to the park + round trip ticket from:
- Haarlem, Hoofddorp, Schiphol or Leiden.
- Amsterdam, Haarlem, Hoofddorp, Schiphol or Leiden for children.
There are several events in the park while its open. You can check them here.
- Guided tours: you can visit the park with a professional guide, available in several languages. The visit lasts approximately one hour and the maximum number of people per guide is 25.
- Boat trips around Keukenhof: you can enjoy the tulip fields around Keukenhof on a boat. The journey lasts 45 minutes. The ticket can be purchased at the mill in the park. Adults pay general price, children (4-11 years) pay reduced price.
- Keukenhof by bicycle: bicycles and tandems can be rented for a day.
- Fly through the flower fields: on Saturdays and Sundays of April and May, you can fly on Royal DC-3 Dakota planes. The flights depart from KLM Jet Center Amsterdam Schiphol Airport East.